Wednesday 11 April 2018

Figures of Speech STD X





(A)Match the following lines with figures of speech
(i) Decisions, I must make   (b) Inversion
(ii) Please open up my eyes,
 dear Lord.                              (a) Apostrophe
(iii) Travel down the
 darkened road                     (d)Alliteration
(iv) I can choose to take the
 road of life                           (c) Metaphor


(B.) Identify the Figures of speech used from those given in the bracket.
(Simile/Repetition/Antithesis/Personification/Metaphor/Alliteration/Apostrophe)
(a) “If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs” ANTITHESIS : Opposite ideas are brought together
(b) “If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two imposters just the same” PERSONIFICATION : Triumph and disaster are considered to be human being.
ANTITHESIS : Opposite words 'triumph and disaster' are brought together.
METAPHOR : 'triumph and disaster ' are implicitly compared to impostors
(c) “And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise” REPETITION : The word ' too ' is repeated pleasingly.
(d) With worn-out tools ALLITERATION : The consonantal sound 'w' is repeated pleasingly.
(C) Find from the poem, one example of each of the following.
(a) Personification : "The ship has weather’d every rack." The ship is given the human quality of overcoming the difficulty.
(b) Alliteration : I)  Rise up-for you the flag is flung
ii) The ship is anchor'd safe and sound
(c) Repetition : But O heart! heart! heart!
(d) Exclamation : Here Captain! dear father!
(e) Tautology :  "For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths"
 A tautology is a repetition of the meaning of a statement, using different words or symbols
(f) Antithesis : From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;
(g) Inversion  : "the bells I hear"  The arrangement of words is not in a prose order . The correct prose order is - I hear the bells.
(h) Transferred Epithet : eager faces  - An adjective  ' eager ' is transferred to faces.
(D) Identify the Figures of Speech
(1) Whose woods these are
 I think I know.     : Inversion                
(2) The woods are lovely,
 dark and deep.    :  Alliteration        
(3) And miles to go before I sleep
 And miles to go before I sleep. : Repetition
(4) My little horse must think it queer : Personification
(5) O moon, --- APOSTROPHE : An  absent/inanimate object 'moon' is addressed.
(6) give me moonlight,. ALLITERATION : The consonantal sound 'm' is repeated pleasingly.
(7) basketful or two baskets full, REPETITION : The word is repeated.
(8) small, small moons of light. , REPETITION : The word is repeated.
(9)give me a basketful of moonlight  ALLITERATION : The consonantal sound 'm' is repeated pleasingly.

(E)Pick out lines that contain :
1. Alliteration
 (a) In form and feature, face and limb,
 (b) It puzzled all our kith and kin,
 (c) One day, to make the matter worse,
2. Hyperbole

(a) And when I died, the neighbours came
And buried brother John.
(b) For somehow, my intended bride
Became my brother's wife.

 Click Here  for detail

1 comment:

  1. I admit, I have not been on this web page in a long time... however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues. english course

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Share your views. Your suggestions are welcome.

Featured post

English Grammar Online Test

Instructions :  1. Choose the options carefully .  2. There are different grammar based questions .  3. Choose the appropriate cou...